Pages - Menu

Friday, February 26, 2010

So, I'm not dead...

Well. I started a post here, and then thought better of myself and so now I'm starting over.

So....yes. I am not dead. I just keep forgetting to post something here. And it's not like my life has been a whirlwind of excitement or anything. It's been pretty dull. I'm still searching for a job. Searching searching searching. And doing little finding. I had an interview today with a portrait was very odd.

To start off: I had some portraits made for graduation (my mom wanted some). The manager of the place ended up doing the photos, and I somehow managed to charm her with my crazy antics. She was the one who suggested I fill out an application, so I did. And I got a call for an interview.

Alright, so at 9:30 this morning, I march myself into Wal-mart (where the studio is located, but it's not affiliated). I was terrified I would be late, but as it turns out, I shouldn't have worried. There was no one there. Odd. I sort of stood around, and finally someone showed up. She begins going around and getting things together for the start of the day, and then the manager (who I had met before) shows up. So then the two of them start into preparations and such.

At this point, another girl walks in, and from her attire and handling, I realize she is another interviewee. I thought maybe she was super early. Wrong. We head off to sit down in the waiting area while things are done. A few minutes later, one of the workers hands us a clipboard with a "new hire information" sheet clipped on it. It was basically a repeat of the application I'd already filled out. Grr.

By now it's nearing 10AM, and I wasn't entirely happy about the situation so far, to be honest. Imagine my surprise when the two women (first girl, who was a manager at another store + manager I knew) come in and sit down with us. Apparently the interview is to be conducted with BOTH of us at the same time.

I'll let that sink in.

It had to be the craziest interview ever. I was asked some questions about sales, which I sort of expected. Questions about dealing with kids, pretty generic stuff. It was really hard to answer though, especially after someone had already answered the same question. There aren't that many ways to answer some things, y'know?

Towards the end, ANOTHER girl shows up for her interview and ends up sitting in on the tail end of hours. And she butted in, as well.

One of the last things we were asked was about our availability. I said I wasn't available after 5pm on Wednesday, and I wasn't available at all on Sundays because of church. The manager who was from another store made what I felt was a pretty snide comment about that. She stated that they really needed people to be flexible, and that she would like to go to church every Sunday too, but it just wasn't possible. Well, sucks for her, but it IS possible for me because I refuse to let something keep me out of it. Anyway, I did say I could probably work from 1-5 on Sundays, but that would be it. That's as flexible as I get on that.

I figure that will most likely cost me the job. And if it does, so be it. I determined a long, long time ago that I was going to stick to my convictions and I truly believe God is going to honor that. I know I'll find something that is a perfect fit for me. I was talking to my dad about the whole experience, and he said sometimes things are presented that way, as a choice. Sometimes God presents you with choices, and you may have to take a stand on something you believe in. And sometimes, though we lose something that we thought was really good, losing it opens a door into something even better.

So, as it seems, I've made my choice, and I'm going to stand on it. Now all that's left is to wait and see which doors are going to open, or close.

No comments:

Post a Comment